Red all over

At last, a finished anything!

Above is the latest knit dress in the wardrobe, Vogue 1194.  I wanted to try this one  as soon as I saw it in the fall patterns.  It’s basically just an empire knit dress with a twisted band under the boobages (as if boobages weren’t interesting enough on their own).  I also got a hot burning feeling to make it the red that was shown on the pattern envelope.  I don’t know why, but there it is.

I had no suitable red fabric stashed so I bought some rayon/spandex at Discount Fabrics for about $3.50/yd.  Rayon/spandex is not the easiest fabric with which to work.  It moves and stretches on you, plus every needle hole shows.  It’s a think twice and sew once fabric, since ripping out is obvious in the fabric.  That said, it’s super comfy to wear so it’s worth the extra effort to me.

My red dress is pretty true to the pattern.  I omitted the side pockets because my material is very drapey and they would look too lumpy, and I made the sleeves 3/4 length to my personal preference.  After trying on the dress I raised the front neckline about 1.5″.  I wanted a more “day” look and also this fabric stretches lengthwise when worn and that made the neckline lower some too.  With a more stable knit you may not need to make that mod.

That’s pretty much the story, though I should have finished with this yesterday.  Sadly, I cut into one of the sleeves when trimming one of the sleeve hems.  Gulp.  I just cut off the sleeve hem where the hole was and added bands at the bottoms of the sleeves.  No harm done, but I’d lost my gumption to finish the dress off.  It’s best not to push through, since that’s when I tend to make dumb mistakes.

Now I just need to get that 80s song “Lady in Red” out of my head….argh!