There is a pattern company called Onion from Denmark that I just adore. The styles are simple yet versatile and the aesthetic is very me. The only problem is that when you order from Europe (or Europe orders from the US), the shipping is usually more than the pattern. That’s just whack. But…I did give in and order the Onion 5042 tunic pattern and finally got around to making this tunic.
The pattern and instructions are in Danish, but they email you a set of English instructions just in case your Rosetta Stone Danish hasn’t come through yet. The pattern is printed on good sturdy paper without seam allowances. You could just cut those patterns out and add SA, but I elected to trace mine off and add SA onto pattern paper so I still have a nice pristine pattern. The tunic itself is just a simple kimono sleeve tunic with variations to add cuffs, collar, belt or elastic. I added cuffs and elastic and used some cotton batiste from the stash to test this out.
Kimono sleeves are loose, but I didn’t want the top to be too loose so I used a small for the bust and graded out to a medium for the bootay. I skipped the facings and used bias at the neck and my elastic needed to be moved down about 1″ for proper boobage placement. I used french seams on this light fabric so it’s very pretty inside and out.
The actual sewing up was very quick since it’s a pretty simple garment. In fact I’m thinking of making one in chambray or crinkle linen and maybe adding an empire level casing so I can add a tie closure. Too bad my sewing plans need to wait until next week when I get home.
My review of this pattern is over on Patternreview.com.