Sometime before Christmas – way before Christmas – I got my Anthro catalog and loved a blue cotton dress. It was adorable and $178. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge folks making money and running successful businesses. If I could have bought it, I would have. But, I thought my family and friends would like Christmas presents too, so I decided to make my own version and buy a couple of presents.
Well, weeks and weeks later I finally finished my dress. I didn’t have a shirtwaist dress pattern handy, so I started with McCalls 8108 from my pattern stash and changed just about everything about it. I kept the cap sleeve as is because I hate hate hate drafting sleeve patterns. Quirky but true.
What I changed: neckline – I opened up the neckline and dropped and rounded the curve like my Anthro dress; zipper – I added a CB seam to put in an invisible zipper; horizontal bodice seam – I added a horizontal bodice seam (back and front) in order to make an elastic casing; I also added fullness to the skirt and bodice so there would be a bit of shirring. I didn’t want this seam to be at the waist so it’s about 1.5" above the waist.
Basically, the finished pattern tissue looked like a Frankenstein pattern. Another thing I did was dump the stupid facings they put in all home sewing patterns. I made my own bias and used that to clean finish the neckline. Add some belt carriers and a belt and voila! A bit of the warmer weather, some tights and a sweater and call me done.