After yesterday’s realization that I knowingly bought 6 buttons and then MADE seven buttonholes, today I went and sought out one more button. I quickly sewed them on and chased a patch of sunlight around the house trying to get a decent pic for y’all.
This is a basic fitted cardigan shape that I use alot. I figured the gauge for plain stockinette. I then got the gauge over the cable pattern. I figured the whole pattern with the plain stockinette gauge and then made a separate calculation averaging the stockinette gauge and the cable gauge and made up patterns for the cabled pieces (fronts and sleeves). I just wanted to compare the two numbers and make sure they were reasonable. For example the plain uncabled sleeve would have me cast on 39 sts and the cabled sleeve called for 49 sts. Reasonable for a DK gauge. I just wanted to make sure that an average of the gauges wouldn’t yield me a ginormo sweater.
If I could change anything, I think I’d make the body a bit longer, the sleeves a tad shorter and maybe make the armhole depth a tad shorter. Otherwise it’s fine. I’ll toss it into a nice bath this afternoon and wetblock it to have the yarn bloom a bit and get more body. I must confess I only steamblocked it for sewing up.
The buttons are just fake leather buttons from Joann’s. They’re washable, and leather ones are not. Clearly I’m not going to remove buttons for washing in this lifetime, and I don’t dry clean unless absolutely necessary.
The cable pattern is Double X Cable, Charted Knitting Designs by B. Walker, page 83. The yarn is Rowanspun DK, color 736 and I think I used 6 1/2 skeins. Remember my button debacle, so don’t quote me.
Don’t worry, I’m not distraught in that last picture, the sun’s just in my eyes.
Now go VOTE!