New Look 6802 view D is done. Actually it’s been done for awhile, but the great plague of 2010 had to pass before I could share.
I ended up liking this dress, but am still VERY confused by the choice of knit fabric. The pattern calls for a two-way stretch knit that needs to stretch a certain distance per a chart on the pattern envelope. My rayon jersey has crossway stretch and easily stretched the required distance across the width. There is no stretch lengthwise (one way stretch). Clearly I used the wrong fabric because the overlay is twisted and loses all ability to stretch. Yes, you can still wear the dress happily, but I think that’s just chance. It’s snug across the overlay and the underdress kind of bunches up underneath, it’s probably not noticeable to anyone other than me, but ERRRR. A two or four-way stretch fabric would be the way to go on this one, just like the pattern envelope says (dork).
Mods: I raised the armholes 1/2″ and redrew the curve to make a proper sleeveless garment; cut crossway stretch bands 1 3/4″ inches wide and folded them in half to clean finish armholes and neckline; took out most of the front ruching; lined the skirt with Raiders silver football jersey material.
I used the narrow twin needle for hems and facing topstitching and added clear elastic to the shoulder seams for stability.
Overall it’s a win, but just by luck.