After the debacle of the black top, I washed the masses of black knit I had left so that particular error wouldn’t be repeated. I do indeed have oodles of black fabric left because it is about 70″ wide, very inexpensive and at the store I thought “you can never have too much black knit”. I have a suspicion it MAY be possible to have too much black knit fabric.
Changing the subject, look what I made. A black knit skirt. It was supposed to be a version of a bubble skirt in Burda, but when I gathered some of the skirt into the yoke it looked hideous. I chopped the excess skirt width to fit the yoke and went with a plain old A-line skirt. The yoke doesn’t have elastic in it per the pattern but I was suspicious of that. I left an opening for elastic insertion and indeed after a bit of wear the knit stretched and I looked like one of those kids with their pants down their arse. I added the necessary elastic and had to retrofit a sewn channel to keep it in place. The hem is a serger rolled hem because that was the easiest thing to do there.
Voila! A problem solving skirt that is as comfy as sweats, but not sweats that looks nothing like what I started out with. It’s not exciting but it should be useful.