I’ve finally finished the Phildar gray cardigan! I’ve had to tinker a bit with it because fixing is the name of the game here at the house this week (appliances fail en masse!).
I think my gauge was pretty good with this project, though how on earth does one accurately figure out gauge in chunky 3×3 rib? My length measurements were good and the width was too, depending on how much you yanked on the knitted fabric. My tinkering came with the finishing. My collar ended up looking like a neck funnel. Pretty! Really, it stood up straight even though I used a needle two sizes smaller than the body. Where’s my elastic thread? I used the thread you use for shirring fabric to draw the collar in and lie flat. I ran a length of elastic through the top of the collar, weaving in and out and through the stitches. That worked fine.
The second item on my agenda appeared after taking the photo on the left. I thought the sleeves needed the same elastic treatment as the collar and now I’ve got the photo on the right. Unfortunately, I must have yanked the elastic tighter than a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon does a facelift, because now I’ve got mildly puffed sleeves. Puts me in the mind of Snow White. Not a good look for a GROWNUP. I shall snip the elastic and yank it out. 30 second re-fix.
Otherwise this was a pretty straightforward project, even though it was entirely a French pattern. The yarn is chunky and a wool/acrylic blend. It looks like a single but is very strong and didn’t break. The acrylic makes the cardie so much more practical for my mild California climate and the keeps it from weighing a ton. I think I’ll get lots of wear out of this project (which is really unusual for me), just toss it on over jeans and tops and pretend you made more of an effort than you really did. Project details are on my Rav page.