The other day I found this material at the Thriftown for 99 cents. It was 3 yards long but only 35″ wide, so I surmised this cotton fabric was from the 1970s when that width fabric was still more common. I didn’t want to buy material but for 99 cents how could I not? I’m only human!
In order to marry the 70s fabric to something I’d actually wear I perused my collection of vintage sewing patterns. I decided upon the sleeveless version of Simplicity 8201 described thusly “dress with back zipper and lowered round neckline has skirt gathered to bodice at empire waistline”. I had enough material to make short sleeves, but this dress just wanted to be sleeveless. The 8201 pattern hails from 1969 so it was a good time match too.
I didn’t make too many changes to such a simple dress but I did add a bit of room to the bodice since the pattern is a size too small for my tatas. I just winged it and all turned out fine with a bit of adjustment. I guess I didn’t need to add much to the top since I took most of it out again in the side seams.
I also didn’t make the facings, but rather lined the dress instead. Now I don’t need to hunt up a slip if I want to wear my dress. The zipper is an invisible one, which isn’t period but much nicer to my way of thinking. I shortened the skirt about 2″ so it hits at the top of my kneecap.
Pretty easy project and the most expensive part of this was the zipper at $3.50. Material was 99 cents and the pattern 50 cents. Labor – well, we won’t include that here.
I know it’s raining and chilly today (which explains the hot mess of my hair – I got rained upon and the flat iron goodness disappeared), but I did already wear this dress out and about with a little cardigan, tights and scarf. Plenty warm enough with all that gear on. Though now I see I should have stayed out in the rain a bit longer to get my hair big like the lovely ladies on the pattern envelope. Groovy man.