Tulip Watch 2013 continues. What am I yammering about you ask? I planted tulip bulbs in the garden in December thinking by spring (which is now in this part of the world) I’d have masses of gorgeous tulips. What I’ve got is about 40% of the bulbs I planted sprouting leaves. Lots of leaves. There are a few tulips flowers trying to come out, but not really enough to satisfy me. I guess the other 60% of the bulbs I planted are “resting” until some other spring.
What you don’t know is that I hate gardening. Hate, hate, hate! I do like flowers so I made the effort this year to buy bulbs, refrigerate them for 2 months (to simulate the winter we don’t get) and plant them in the adobe soil (think concrete). So I’m hoping they’ll bloom but I still buy a bunch of tulips every week to satisfy my tulip craving – just in case.