Well it’s not Rhinebeck, but it’s something.
The material is from a layover in Los Angeles that had me trekking over to the fabric district and picking up a few things, this included. The material is a rayon/poly fluid print that presses well. I thought it would be a good match for Staple dress’ elastic waist. The material’s drape should be nice and fluid and make for soft folds in the finished dress.
Well the finished dress is fine, I just don’t know how much I’ll like wearing that elastic waist. It was annoying me just taking pictures, but I suspect the elastic will relax a bit with wear (plus that fact that I yank on it while taking it one and off). I even tried to wear a belt when taking pictures and you know I hate belts, which is probably why it’s kind of wonky.
I made the dress as instructed, but it’s a pretty easy dress so variations are limited. The dress has pockets and a shirred elastic waist. It’s pretty basic. The neck and armholes are finished with bias, the waist is shirred with elastic thread and I added bra strap holders at the shoulders so that wide neck would stay on. I didn’t add any length and hemmed with a baby hem, so if you want a longer dress or are tall you may want to add a bit to the length.
All that said, I’m still on the fence as to whether this will be useful. The blouson effect of the bodice isn’t the most flattering on me. I think I prefer a more fitted look on top for me, but it is fairly comfortable and easy to slip on under a cardigan, so maybe. I’ll keep it for a few months and see if it gets worn.
I think I’ll try to make another blouse next from my latest fabric from New York, which I cleverly left out waiting for inspiration (and time off).