Not totally lazy

I think I’m looking at a spot on the kitchen floor wondering where it came from…

Sleeve tuck detail – couldn’t get good pics this day.

I’ve been on an medical leave since March when I had my knee “fixed”.  I’m using quotes because as any of you know who’ve been there, there is no fixed.  So long story short, I now have different pain from before, but pain is pain.  At least I have hope I will continue to get better since things have slowly been feeling better.  To that end I think my doc will cut me loose at my next appointment in about a week, so I can work.  Not a tragedy, it’s time.

To that impending event I thought I’d better get the lead out and finish a dress I’d started months ago and is laying around the dining room table that is my sewing space.  Literally months – like Januaryish!  Maybe February.  Still, pretty lame.  The dress is Cardamome from Deer & Doe and when I initially cut it out I thought the 3/4 sleeves would be grand.  Cut to June and blazing heat and 3/4 sleeves in a polyester crepe de chine sounds like a recipe for heatstroke.  Luckily I had lots of material and drafted a short sleeve, added 2″ of fullness and made it 3″ long.  I tried shirring the fullness into the armband but it looked dorky so I just made one big pleat and it gives the sleeve a kind of retro 40s shape.

Overexposed to try to show the yoke.

The dress itself is the Cardamome with the waistband variation (as opposed to the elastic shirred waist) and I left off the collar so I’ve just got a band collar.  The dress has a curved yoke that wasn’t super easy to do in polyester but not impossible.  There is a button front at the yoke and a side zipper to get the thing on plus pockets!  Pockets are a must.  It’s a super comfortable dress, mine is a smidge loose since that’s how I like it and it’s already been worn and washed since it was finally finished.

Now I better see where I put all my work stuff, out of sight out of mind.

Advertisements

Gray ginger

Well they fit, I’ll say that.

For a while there I was starting many sewing and knitting projects and then flitting off on another tangent.  I still need to finish a few more things to get the sewing deck cleared, but these Ginger Jeans are done!

I’d bought this bottom weight cotton stretch fabric at Joann(?) ages ago and couldn’t remember what I’d planned for it.  Well Ginger Jeans are always a good idea since I’ve got that pattern pretty well tweaked to my arse.  As you can see they do fit well and are pretty easy to sew up.  The only problem with these is the crap fabric.  The reverse of the fabric is light colored and in a few places the top stitching created a pull that shows up on the right side as a white line.  Argh.  I have played with different types of needles for the top stitching to stop this horror.  I then used a black sharpie to color in the white lines so they don’t show, at least now before laundering.

Side on.

The inside of these trousers are made from some floral cotton I’d had leftover from a skirt and honestly this is my favorite part of these.  My overall sewing of these is not of the highest quality since I didn’t like the fabric’s behavior and don’t know if they’ll get worn much.  I guess I’ll have to see if anyone likes them and if the crap fabric wears at all well.

Luckily I have a nice piece of denim to make a real pair of Gingers once I finish a couple more sewing projects that are cut and waiting.  But no more new projects until something else gets finished.  Pinky swear.

The pretty floral inside.