Yes, another one

I will now make something else, I promise.

Turns out taking pictures of a black dress on a cloudy afternoon is hard.  Sorry for the pics!

After my first Sureau I wanted to try one in black with a different sleeve.  I also modified the neckline because the first dress didn’t lie flat on my clavicle.  I pinched out the extra fullness, raised the neckline and drafted a little rounded collar.  While I was at it I changed the sleeve to an elbow length with fullness into the cuff.  What I should have done after seeing this pictures is lowered the waistline about an inch since it’s still rather higher than my natural waist. But that mod will have to wait since I don’t really need too many of these dresses in my wardrobe.

Again, this may not be the most fashionable, age appropriate style, but it is super comfy.  With a scarf and sweater/blazer it will be quite useful.

My next project is polyester pull on pants, I kid you not.  Also not age appropriate (in the other direction this time) and they look rather dodgy right now, but if they turn out you will see my version.  If they don’t, forget you read that last sentence.

Dress with a French accent

Quick, take a pic and go to work girl!

I’ve seen a few versions of Sureau on the blogs and found it to be a cute, flattering dress made for real life wearing.  So I was forced, forced I tell you, to order the pattern from Deer and Doe.

The pattern came quickly from France and this dress was a quick make.  I’d decided for this first iteration of the dress that I had to use stashed fabric and notions.  I rooted around the big plastic bins in the garage and found this piece of rayon/cotton/linen? fabric.  It looks a bit like chambray, but it’s really not chambray.  I had an acceptable length light blue invisible zip stashed and found a card of blue buttons in the button box.  Voila!  A dress is born.

It fits pretty well out of the envelope.  I used the longest length of skirt from the largest size since it runs a tad short for a lady of my years.  I added a couple more inches into the skirt gathers and may take those out since it’s a tad poofy in a crisp fabric.  I may tweak the neck a bit on the next version and perhaps add a collar.  I also moved the zipper to the center back from the side seam since I don’t enjoy a side zipper.  That’s about it.  It’s an easy dress to sew up and I’m thinking about making up one in black and moving into it permanently.

In thrift store coat news, I had the $6 coat dry cleaned for $18.95 and it looks amazing!  So final score on the Topshop coat is $24.95 and awesome!