I think I’m looking at a spot on the kitchen floor wondering where it came from…
Sleeve tuck detail – couldn’t get good pics this day.
I’ve been on an medical leave since March when I had my knee “fixed”. I’m using quotes because as any of you know who’ve been there, there is no fixed. So long story short, I now have different pain from before, but pain is pain. At least I have hope I will continue to get better since things have slowly been feeling better. To that end I think my doc will cut me loose at my next appointment in about a week, so I can work. Not a tragedy, it’s time.
To that impending event I thought I’d better get the lead out and finish a dress I’d started months ago and is laying around the dining room table that is my sewing space. Literally months – like Januaryish! Maybe February. Still, pretty lame. The dress is Cardamome from Deer & Doe and when I initially cut it out I thought the 3/4 sleeves would be grand. Cut to June and blazing heat and 3/4 sleeves in a polyester crepe de chine sounds like a recipe for heatstroke. Luckily I had lots of material and drafted a short sleeve, added 2″ of fullness and made it 3″ long. I tried shirring the fullness into the armband but it looked dorky so I just made one big pleat and it gives the sleeve a kind of retro 40s shape.
Overexposed to try to show the yoke.
The dress itself is the Cardamome with the waistband variation (as opposed to the elastic shirred waist) and I left off the collar so I’ve just got a band collar. The dress has a curved yoke that wasn’t super easy to do in polyester but not impossible. There is a button front at the yoke and a side zipper to get the thing on plus pockets! Pockets are a must. It’s a super comfortable dress, mine is a smidge loose since that’s how I like it and it’s already been worn and washed since it was finally finished.
Now I better see where I put all my work stuff, out of sight out of mind.
Yay! It’s finally done! Too bad I’m having an awkward hair-growing-out day. Life.
No, it really shouldn’t take very long to make this shirt but I managed to make this project last over a month. That was mostly due to not working on it, so my bad.
This shirt is Bruyere from Deer & Doe Patterns. It’s essentially a convertible collared shirt with cuffs and waist yoke band. I bought my pattern copy from Stonemountain and Daughter in Berkeley (California) but I’ve also purchased patterns from their website in France and they come remarkably quickly through that route also. The fabric is a very high quality cotton lawn purchased from Stonemountain’s half price section so it was perfect to test out a new pattern with.
Since I’d no idea how this blouse would fit out of the box I opted to just make my size (according to the measurement chart) and see what happened. Turns out it fits just great with no alterations. The bust darts are in the right place, I can close it over the boobs, the sleeves are long enough and it goes over my butt. Yay.I wanted to use the shirtmaking techniques I’d learned in Pam Howard’s “The Classic Tailored Shirt” Craftsy class (which is freaking awesome for those interested in such things). I flat felled all the seams and tried to sew it up in a similar order to her class technique, but this shirt is not the same animal so I had to stop and think about procedure every now and then. I may make a few changes on the next version, but that’s going to require a bit of thought. There are a few more sewing details that I’ll put in my PatternReview for those not as into sewing shirts as I am at the moment.So I made a completely wearable muslin test of a new pattern. I’d like to make another in dark or dotted chambray, but I fear if I then wear it with jeans I’ll be wearing that old Canadian tuxedo look that I’d find hard to pull off.
So stay tuned for more shirtmaking – as least that’s the plan for today.